Windows Server 2012 Essentials is an edition of the Windows Server operating system designed for small organizations with up to 25 users and 50 devices. When installed on a server computer, it automatically configures network roles such as print server, domain controller, web server, and file server.
This donation provides one server license for running the software on a server with up to two physical processors. Up to 25 users and up to 50 devices can connect to the licensed server. No client access licenses (CALs) are needed. For additional information about the available editions of Windows Server 2012 and the server and client licensing requirements, see the Guide to Windows Server Editions and Licensing.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have some system administration experience, you can use Windows Server 2012 Essentials to:
- Set up your organization's first server, which can be used on its own or act as the primary server in a multiserver environment
- Support common IT scenarios like folder and printer sharing, remote access, support for mobile devices, and backup/restore tools
- Provide access to cloud services such as Office 365
- Windows Server product technologies: Essentials provides the core technologies of Windows Server 2012. It does not include those appropriate only to medium-to-large enterprises, such as Hyper-V virtualization or the Server Core installation option.
- Simplified management console: Administrators can manage common IT tasks and view the health and security of client computers and servers in the network through the Dashboard. Alerts warn you of items that need attention.
- Remote access: DirectAccess allows secure access to the network from any computer or device without a VPN connection. Remote Web Access gives any user with a web browser secure access to email, internal websites, shared folders, organization and administration links, and networked computers.
- Data protection: You can perform complete system backups and restores of the server as well as client devices. Storage Spaces allows you to create virtual disks from disparate hard drives with specified levels of resilience.
- Cloud integration: The software is designed for simple integration with cloud services like Microsoft Online Backup and Office 365.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Center and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product. After you download the software, learn how to install it or burn it to a disc for later use.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the first email you receive from TechSoup after requesting this product.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested. Make sure the organization email that is registered with TechSoup is up-to-date. Visit My Member Profile and verify the address in your active organization profile.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- TechSoup will send an email with information about obtaining your license key and managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.