Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2013 is a project management and version control application for software development teams. It's typically deployed in organizations with several developers who need to collaborate on one or more projects.
This donation provides one server license for running one instance of the server software in one physical or virtual operating system environment on a single server. Each user or device that connects to the server must have a Team Foundation Server user or device client access license (CAL). See TechSoup's Guide to Microsoft Server Licensing for more information.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have an experienced software development team, you can use Visual Studio Team Foundation Server to simplify the interactions among team members and roles.
- Version control: Developers can check in, check out, compare, merge, and manage versions to collaborate and maintain control of projects.
- Collaboration: Teams can collaborate with all project stakeholders throughout the development process with work items, Kanban boards, and feedback requests.
- Bug tracing: An operations team can record and capture the sequence of events that caused a bug. The development team can then update the software in a timely manner.
- Web portal: The Web Access application allows access to Visual Studio through a web browser.
- Reporting: Developers can generate reports that show the current state of work.
This Software Included with Visual Studio Products
If your organization has received a donation of a Visual Studio product through TechSoup, you will probably not need to request Team Foundation Server. The Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) subscription that is bundled with Visual Studio editions available through TechSoup provides a server license for Team Foundation Server and one CAL.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Center and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product. After you download the software, learn how to install it or burn it to a disc for later use.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the first email you receive from TechSoup after requesting this product.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- TechSoup will send an email with information about obtaining your license key and managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.