Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Edition is an integrated development environment (IDE) for teams that build applications that operate on Microsoft Windows, in Microsoft Office, or on Microsoft's web and mobile-device platforms.
Visual Studio Ultimate Edition includes all the debugging, diagnostics, and testing functionality of the Premium Edition, in addition to tools for lab management, architecture, and modeling.
Developers who use Visual Studio Ultimate Edition can choose to program in long-supported Microsoft programming languages such as Visual Basic.NET, Visual C++.NET, Visual C#.NET, Jscript, and dozens more or in several languages that are newly supported with Visual Studio 2010 such as Visual F#, IronRuby, and IronPython. Visual Studio 2010 also includes more integration with SharePoint Server than previous versions, helping developers who need to customize a SharePoint Server 2010 installation.
Visual Studio Ultimate Edition includes many Microsoft software development kits, utilities, class libraries, APIs, and data connections. It supports .NET Framework versions 2 through 4, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), Windows Workflow Foundation (WF), Silverlight, ASP.NET, Extensible Application Markup Language (XAML), and Language-Integrated Query (LINQ). Visual Studio 2010 also includes Visual Studio 2010 Tools for the Office Runtime, which targets Office 2007 and 2010.
Other capabilities include the following:
- Database development tools for deployment and change-management help ensure databases and applications are in sync.
- Code analysis tools help developers avoid common coding errors before they get into production.
- Test impact analysis provides a list of recommended tests to run after a code change was made, enabling more accurate verification of code and reducing the number of tests needed.
- Lab Management automates build-deploy-test workflows to reduce development and testing costs associated with setup, tear down, and restoration of virtual environments to a known state.
- Architecture Explorer helps users visually explore code assets and their interdependencies, produce detailed models of how an application is constructed, and drill down into specific areas.
Other Editions of Visual Studio
For organizations that do not need the full functionality of Visual Studio, Microsoft offers free, downloadable Express editions of Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer.
Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Subscription
This version of Visual Studio includes a two-year subscription to the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN). MSDN provides access to Microsoft operating systems and software, development kits, and the MSDN Library. The subscription available with Ultimate Edition also includes access to titles like Visual Studio Team Explorer Everywhere 2010, Expression Studio Ultimate, and Office Professional Plus 2010 for production use, as well as access to Office products, Dynamics, and other servers for development and testing. Access is via the MSDN Subscriber Downloads site and through regular CD or DVD shipments. Technical support includes unlimited use of MSDN Managed Newsgroups with guaranteed response times of two business days, unlimited access to MSDN Online Concierge for nontechnical questions regarding use of the MSDN site, and four phone-based support incidents.
To activate the MSDN subscription, you must perform an additional step while retrieving your license keys from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center website. To activate an MSDN subscription, click Subscriptions in the VLSC menu bar and follow the MSDN link to enter information about the subscribing user. When the process is complete, the user will receive an email with a subscriber ID and directions to the MSDN website.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product. After you download the software, learn how to install it or burn it to a disc for later use.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the email you receive from TechSoup after requesting this product.
Expect two emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address. This email will confirm the number of licenses you have requested and provide information about how to use the VLSC once Microsoft accepts your license agreement. Make sure the organization email that is registered with TechSoup is up-to-date. Visit My Member Profile and verify the address in your active organization profile.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the VLSC. This email will indicate that Microsoft has accepted your license agreement. After you receive this email, you'll be able to follow the steps in the first email you received from TechSoup to obtain your donation through the VLSC.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.