This client management license (ML) allows one nonserver device to be managed by System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and Virtual Machine Manager. If a device has multiple operating system environments (OSEs), a separate ML is required for each OSE managed by Configuration Manager.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have a dedicated IT department and staff with datacenter administration experience, your organization can use Configuration Manager and Virtual Machine Manager to manage all client desktops, thin clients, mobile devices, and virtual desktops from a unified interface.
- Configuration Manager: provides software deployment, distribution, update management, and configuration monitoring throughout an IT infrastructure
- Virtual Machine Manager: enables administration and management of Microsoft and VMware virtual machine guests and virtual machine hosts
Other types of System Center licenses are also available. For more information, see TechSoup's Guide to System Center Products and Licensing.
With System Center 2012, the right to run management server software is included with the MLs. If you request this product, you can obtain management server software for all of the System Center components listed above. The software includes a runtime version of SQL Server Technology (SQL Server Standard Edition) to support System Center. No additional licenses are needed for management servers or SQL Server technology.
MLs do not require media, license keys, or setup codes.
CALs, ECLs, and MLs offered through TechSoup are always for the currently offered version of the server software. However, these licenses can also be used with earlier versions of the server software.
Obtaining the Server Software
Installing the server software requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Center and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product. After you download the software, learn how to install it or burn it to a disc for later use.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the first email you receive from TechSoup after requesting this product.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- TechSoup will send an email with information about obtaining your license key and managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.