This client management license (ML) suite allows any number of nonserver operating system environments (OSEs) to be managed by a set of System Center server technologies, as long as only one user has access to them. If more than one user has access to a certain OSE or set of OSEs, a client ML suite is necessary for each user.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have a dedicated IT department and staff with datacenter administration experience, your organization can use System Center to:
- Pool shared resources into a "private cloud" to provide users with IT as a Service that they can self-allocate through a portal.
- Manage hybrid cloud environments that combine public and private cloud applications and services from a centralized interface.
- Standardize and automate datacenter processes to reduce costs and improve service reliability.
This ML suite licenses nonserver devices to be managed by these System Center components:
- Data Protection Manager: enables disk-based data protection and recovery for file and application servers as well as client computers
- Operations Manager: monitors the health of IT services across datacenter and cloud infrastructures
- Orchestrator: a workflow management tool for automating the creation, monitoring, and deployment of IT resources
- Service Manager: an integrated platform for automating and adapting your organization's IT service management best practices
Other types of System Center licenses are also available. For more information, see TechSoup's Guide to System Center Products and Licensing.
The right to run System Center management server software is included with the MLs. If you request this product, you can obtain management server software for all of the System Center components listed above. The software includes a runtime version of SQL Server Technology (SQL Server Standard Edition) to support System Center. No additional licenses are needed for management servers or SQL Server technology.
MLs do not require media, license keys, or setup codes.
CALs, ECLs, and MLs offered through TechSoup are always for the currently offered version of the server software. However, these licenses can also be used with earlier versions of the server software.
Obtaining the Server Software
Installing the server software requires you to download the software from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the email you receive from TechSoup after you request this product.
Expect two emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address. This email will confirm the number of licenses you have requested and provide information about how to use the VLSC once Microsoft accepts your license agreement. Make sure the organization email that is registered with TechSoup is up-to-date. Visit My Member Profile and verify the address in your active organization profile.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the VLSC. This email will indicate that Microsoft has accepted your license agreement. After you receive this email, you'll be able to follow the steps in the first email you received from TechSoup to obtain your donation through the VLSC.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.