SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition is relational database server software offering tools for data storage, management, analysis, and reporting.
Benefits for Organizations
- Serve data to a customer relationship management (CRM) platform
- Analyze data collected by your organization
- Support a dynamic website or intranet site
- The online transaction processing (OLTP) engine allows quick access to large amounts of data.
- Failover clustering support minimizes disruption of service by connecting to other servers to provide service in case one fails.
- The online analytical processing (OLAP) and BI Semantic Model (BISM) multidimensional models allow you to analyze multidimensional data from multiple perspectives and in a tabular model.
- SQL Data Tools provide a development environment integrated with the .NET framework and Visual Studio. Developers can build web, enterprise, and data-aware mobile applications on premises and in the cloud.
This product includes Service Pack 1.
For more information, see Microsoft's Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2012.
The management interface is SQL Server Management Studio, a graphical management tool with rich scripting capabilities for all SQL Server components. SQL Server Management Studio includes Policy-Based Management, which can create policies that manage entities on the server. Entities might include the instance of SQL Server, databases, and other SQL Server objects.
This product operates on a server/CAL licensing model and includes one server license. Under this model, you will need a separate license for each client (client CAL) or device (device CAL) that accesses the server.
This model allows you license a physical, virtual, or cloud-based server based on the number of users or devices that access it. It is most appropriate for administrators who know the exact number of users and devices that will connect to the server.
SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition is also available under the core-based model. See Related Products and Information.
For additional information about the available editions of SQL Server and its licensing requirements, see the Guide to SQL Server Editions and Licensing.
32-Bit and x64 Versions
This product can be installed on 32-bit, 64-bit AMD, or 64-bit Intel Xeon platforms. The 32-bit version can be installed on the Windows on Windows (WOW64) 32-bit subsystem of a 64-bit server.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Center and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product. After you download the software, learn how to install it or burn it to a disc for later use.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the first email you receive from TechSoup after requesting this product.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- TechSoup will send an email with information about obtaining your license key and managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.