SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition is relational database server software offering tools for data storage, management, analysis, and reporting. It is most suitable for large organizations and cloud-based server environments.
This edition of SQL Server includes all of the features in the Standard and Business Intelligence editions and additional enterprise-level features.
Benefits for Organizations
The enterprise-level features included with this edition can be used to:
- Serve as a data repository for diverse data types
- Integrate and manage data across multiple database-driven systems
- Provide greater uptime, faster failover, and more efficient use of hardware resources
- SQL Server includes basic database, reporting, and business intelligence (BI) analytics functionality.
- The online transaction processing (OLTP) engine allows quick access to large amounts of data.
- The online analytical processing (OLAP) and BI Semantic Model (BISM) multidimensional models allow you to analyze multidimensional data from multiple perspectives and in a tabular model.
- xVelocity increases performance speeds for data warehousing and business intelligence functionality.
- Data Quality Services improve data quality by using organizational knowledge and third-party reference data providers to profile, cleanse, and match data.
This product includes Service Pack 1.
For more information, see Microsoft's Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2012.
This product operates on a core-based licensing model. Under this model, you will need to license all cores in a physical environment. In a virtual environment, the same minimum requirement applies to virtual cores allocated to virtual machines.
This model allows you license a physical, virtual, or cloud-based server based on computing power.
Additional Licenses Needed
Two core licenses are included with this product. SQL Server requires a minimum of four core licenses to function. In order to license this product, you will need to obtain enough copies to cover the cores in the processors that you plan to use with SQL Server.
For additional information about the available editions of SQL Server and its licensing requirements, see the Guide to SQL Server Editions and Licensing.
32-Bit and x64 Versions
This product can be installed on 32-bit, 64-bit AMD, or 64-bit Intel Xeon platforms. The 32-bit version can be installed on the Windows on Windows (WOW64) 32-bit subsystem of a 64-bit server.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Center and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product. After you download the software, learn how to install it or burn it to a disc for later use.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the first email you receive from TechSoup after requesting this product.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- TechSoup will send an email with information about obtaining your license key and managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.