SQL Server 2012 Business Intelligence Edition is relational database server software. It offers tools for data storage, management, analysis, and reporting to provide premium corporate and self-service business intelligence tools.
This edition of SQL Server includes all of the features in the Standard Edition and additional business intelligence features.
Benefits for Organizations
The business intelligence tools included with this edition can be used to:
- Identify factors that result in contributions
- Explore donor relationships
- Measure the effectiveness of services and the benefits and costs associated with them
- SQL Server includes basic database, reporting, and business intelligence (BI) analytics functionality.
- The online transaction processing (OLTP) engine allows quick access to large amounts of data.
- The online analytical processing (OLAP) and BI Semantic Model (BISM) multidimensional models allow you to analyze multidimensional data from multiple perspectives and in a tabular model.
- PowerPivot integrates with Excel and SharePoint to share data and Power View provides a graphical analysis of it.
- The Business Intelligence Semantic Model (BISM) tabular model provides a simple method for analyzing business data.
This product includes Service Pack 1.
For more information, see Microsoft's Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2012.
This product operates on a server/CAL licensing model and includes one server license. Under this model, you will need a separate license for each client (Client CAL) or device (Device CAL) that accesses the server.
This model allows you license a physical, virtual, or cloud-based server based on the number of users or devices that access it.
For additional information about the available editions of SQL Server and its licensing requirements, see the Guide to SQL Server Editions and Licensing.
32-Bit and x64 Versions
This product can be installed on 32-bit, 64-bit AMD, or 64-bit Intel Xeon platforms. The 32-bit version can be installed on the Windows on Windows (WOW64) 32-bit subsystem of a 64-bit server.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Center and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product. After you download the software, learn how to install it or burn it to a disc for later use.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the first email you receive from TechSoup after requesting this product.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- TechSoup will send an email with information about obtaining your license key and managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.