SharePoint Server 2013 is a server platform for information sharing, collaboration, and content management. Its services can be accessed only by appropriately licensed internal users.
This product includes a server license. Each user or device that accesses SharePoint Server must have a Standard client access license (CAL). Additive Enterprise CALs are required to access certain features. See the Guide to Microsoft Server Licensing for specific licensing details.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have system administration experience, you can use SharePoint Server to:
- Create an intranet portal for your organization to share information
- Manage and edit documents among multiple users and offices
- Develop a public-facing website
- Collaboration: You can create content from their preferred web browser or from desktop applications such as Microsoft Word. Automated versioning and workflows, document check-out, and sophisticated access controls help teams work on shared documents with minimal confusion and misunderstanding.
- Enterprise Content Management: Users within your organization can manage their content on a single unified platform for the entire content life cycle — from creation through editing, collaboration, and approval, to long-term retention or final expiration. SharePoint can also help implement and automate compliance with information management and data security policies.
- Enterprise Search: The search infrastructure combines federated search, relevance, refinement, and social cues to speed up search and help people find the information and contacts they need.
- Portals: You can build and maintain multiple content portals on a single SharePoint installation, with each portal customized for a particular business activity or organizational stakeholder. For example, you can build an enterprise intranet portal for all employees and a divisional portal site for particular departments.
This product includes Service Pack 1.
SharePoint Server Foundation 2013
SharePoint Foundation is a collaboration platform and foundation for building web applications. It is available free of charge from Microsoft. All of the features in SharePoint Foundation are also available in SharePoint Server.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Center and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product. After you download the software, learn how to install it or burn it to a disc for later use.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the first email you receive from TechSoup after requesting this product.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- TechSoup will send an email with information about obtaining your license key and managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.