Symantec pcAnywhere provides secure remote access to computers and servers. It lets administrators quickly resolve help-desk and server support issues and other users stay productive while they work away from the office. pcAnywhere 12.5 adds support for Windows Server 2008.
pcAnywhere allows a remote computer to connect to host computers through several channels, among them local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), and the Internet. The remote user can then work on the host computer as if sitting in front of it. The connection also allows files to be transferred between computers. This product includes both host and remote software.
A license for this product allows one host computer to be accessed by any number of remote computers and one remote computer to access any number of host computers. Organizations should request as many licenses as they have host or remote computers, whichever number is larger.
pcAnywhere has several components:
- CrossPlatform allows access to and from computers that are running on Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X operating systems.
- Gateway lets users find and connect to computers that are behind a firewall, router, or other type of network address translation (NAT) device.
- Mobile lets users access computers and servers remotely from a mobile Pocket PC or Pocket PC Phone device.
- Web Remote allows connections through a Java-enabled web browser.
Here are some notable features of this product:
- Security features such as mandatory passwords, logging, serialization, integrity checking, host address blocking, and FIPS 140-2 compliance help ensure that only authorized users have access to Symantec pcAnywhere host machines.
- The Symantec pcAnywhere Host Administrator enables administrators to start, stop, and configure pcAnywhere hosts from a central location; create configuration groups to remotely manage and configure multiple workstations on the network; and distribute configuration files simultaneously to multiple workstations on the network.
- The host invitation feature simplifies the process of hosts establishing a reverse connection from behind firewalls and NAT devices.
- A new quick-connect applet provides one-click access to frequently used features, preserves authentication, automatically deploys host software, and restarts stopped services.
- pcAnywhere 12.5 supports Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Intel-based Mac systems.
The version of this product available through TechSoup is the Not for Resale (NFR) version. NFR products cannot be upgraded to new releases. If you are seeking a new release, you will need to request a new donation through TechSoup. In addition, NFR products do not include telephone assistance with product issues or add-ons; however, free online technical support is available at Symantec's website through its knowledge bases and discussion forums.
The administrative fee for this product is not refundable, and the product cannot be exchanged.
Obtaining This Product
Expect two emails. When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address with preliminary information about obtaining this product. Shortly after, the donor partner will send an email with information needed to complete the installation or activation.