Lync Server 2013 is a real-time communications server. It supports instant messaging (IM), presence information, web conferencing, and telephony, all through an office's existing communications infrastructure. Lync Server's client applications are Lync and Lync Web App.
This donation provides one server license. Each user or device that accesses Lync Server must have a Standard client access license (CAL). Additive Enterprise CALs or Plus CALs are required to access certain features. See the Licensing section for additional information.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have network administration experience, you can use Lync Server to:
- Manage all live communications among users within and outside of your organization
- Connect users for sharing Office documents and IM and voice conversations
- Request and launch meetings through Outlook or a web interface
- Instant messaging: Users inside and outside of an organization can use IM over the Lync desktop clients, Lync Mobile, or Communicator for Mac 2011. They can also use a web-based interface to connect with most popular IM clients.
- Telephony: Administrators can use Lync Server to manage both voice over IP (VoIP) and traditional (PSTN) telephony. Lync Server can work within your organization's existing telephone and PBX systems.
- Office integration: You can use and distribute PowerPoint presentations within a web conference. Users can edit Office documents in real time locally or remotely. Lync Server options also appear in the interfaces of Office applications.
- Live audio and video conferencing: Lync Server is compatible with Microsoft RoundTable or any device that supports Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) or Real-time Transport Control Protocol (RTCP).
- Encrypted communication: Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP) protect sensitive information without limiting software functionality and eliminate the need for remote users to establish virtual private network (VPN) connections.
Standard CALs are required for each user or device accessing Lync Server. Additive CALs might be required depending on which Lync Server features are used.
- Standard CAL: For IM, presence, or PC-to-PC audio and video communications.
- Enterprise CAL: For audio, video, and web conferencing; desktop sharing; room systems; and multiple HD video streams. Enterprise CALs can only be used in conjunction with Standard CALs.
- Plus CAL: For enterprise telephony features. Plus CALs can only be used in conjunction with Standard CALs.
To enable all features, all three licenses (standard, enterprise, and plus) are needed.
See the Guide to Microsoft Server Licensing for general licensing information.
Lync Basic 2013
Lync Basic 2013 is a free desktop client for Lync Server 2013 and Lync Online. It provides a subset of the Lync functionality found in the Lync 2013 client. It is available as a 32-bit or 64-bit client.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Center and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product. After you download the software, learn how to install it or burn it to a disc for later use.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the first email you receive from TechSoup after requesting this product.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- TechSoup will send an email with information about obtaining your license key and managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.