Skype for Business Server (formerly Lync Server) is a real-time communications server. It supports instant messaging (IM), presence information, web conferencing, and telephony, all through an office's existing communications infrastructure. Skype for Business Server's client applications are Skype for Business and several others with which it is backward compatible.
This donation provides one server license. Each user or device that accesses Skype for Business Server must have a Standard client access license (CAL). Additive Enterprise CALs or Plus CALs are required to access certain features. See the Licensing section for additional information.
Which Versions of This Software Are Available?
You can choose to download the current version or the previous version of this software. You can find out which version is the current one in the Microsoft Title Groups document. In addition, you can download the software in any language that's available.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have network administration experience, you can use Skype for Business to
- Manage all live communications among users within and outside of your organization
- Connect users for sharing Office documents and IM and voice conversations
- Request and launch meetings through Outlook or a web interface
- Instant messaging: Users inside and outside of an organization can use IM over the Skype for Business desktop clients. They can also use a web-based interface to connect with most popular IM clients.
- Telephony: Administrators can use Skype for Business Server to manage both voice over IP (VoIP) and traditional (PSTN) telephony. Skype for Business Server can work within your organization's existing telephone and PBX systems.
- Office integration: You can use and distribute PowerPoint presentations within a web conference. Users can edit Office documents in real time locally or remotely. Skype for Business Server options also appear in the interfaces of Office applications.
- Live audio and video conferencing: Skype for Business Server is compatible with Microsoft RoundTable or any device that supports Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) or Real-time Transport Control Protocol (RTCP).
- Encrypted communication: Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP) protect sensitive information without limiting software functionality and eliminate the need for remote users to establish virtual private network (VPN) connections.
Standard CALs are required for each user or device accessing Skype for Business Server. Additive CALs might be required depending on which Skype for Business Server features are used.
- Standard CAL: For IM, presence, or PC-to-PC audio and video communications.
- Enterprise CAL: For audio, video, and web conferencing; desktop sharing; room systems; and multiple HD video streams. Enterprise CALs can only be used in conjunction with Standard CALs.
- Plus CAL: For enterprise telephony features. Plus CALs can only be used in conjunction with Standard CALs.
To enable all features, all three licenses (Standard, Enterprise, and Plus) are needed.
See the Guide to Microsoft Server Licensing for general licensing information.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the email you receive from TechSoup after you request this product.
Expect two emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address. This email will confirm the number of licenses you have requested and provide information about how to use the VLSC once Microsoft accepts your license agreement. Make sure the organization email that is registered with TechSoup is up-to-date. Visit My Member Profile and verify the address in your active organization profile.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the VLSC. This email will indicate that Microsoft has accepted your license agreement. After you receive this email, you'll be able to follow the steps in the first email you received from TechSoup to obtain your donation through the VLSC.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.