Save more with Boost!
Lync Desktop is a communications client that works in conjunction with Skype for Business Server and Skype for Business Online. Users can talk to each other using instant messaging (IM), voice, or video and can switch back and forth between modes.
This donation provides one license. See a summary of Volume Licensing Product Use Rights for specific licensing details.
Which Versions of This Software Are Available?
You can choose to download the current version or the previous version of this software. You can find out which version is the current one in the Microsoft Title Groups document. In addition, you can download the software in any language that's available.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have network administration experience, you can use Lync Desktop with Skype for Business Server or Skype for Business Online to
- Communicate and collaborate with remote workers through audio, web, or video conferencing
- Improve your availability by redirecting incoming conversation requests to another mode of communication, such as a mobile phone
- Presence: In the Contact List window, each contact has a presence button, green for available, yellow for away, or red for busy.
- Meetings: You can schedule audio, web, or video meetings with Lync Desktop or within Outlook or Outlook Web App. Web conferences support program or desktop sharing, file sharing, and polling.
- File sharing: You can send files or selections from files in instant messages or share them in meetings with their formatting intact.
- Accessibility: Lync Desktop includes more than 100 keyboard shortcuts for accepting, ignoring, or ending calls or other important functions. Enhanced screen reader support for Job Access with Speech (JAWS) and other software enables all notifications, incoming requests, and instant messages to be read aloud.
- History: Lync Desktop tracks and logs information about conversations in a special folder in Outlook called Conversation History. This information can include notes taken in OneNote.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the email you receive from TechSoup after you request this product.
Expect two emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address. This email will confirm the number of licenses you have requested and provide information about how to use the VLSC once Microsoft accepts your license agreement. Make sure the organization email that is registered with TechSoup is up-to-date. Visit My Member Profile and verify the address in your active organization profile.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the VLSC. This email will indicate that Microsoft has accepted your license agreement. After you receive this email, you'll be able to follow the steps in the first email you received from TechSoup to obtain your donation through the VLSC.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.