Lync 2013 is a communications client that works in conjunction with Lync Server and Lync Online. Users can talk to each other using instant messaging (IM), voice, or video and can switch back and forth between modes. Presence indicators indicate a contact's availability and appear both in the program and across Office applications like Outlook.
This donation provides one license. See a summary of Volume Licensing Product Use Rights for specific licensing details.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have network administration experience, you can use Lync 2013 with Lync Server or Lync Online to:
- Communicate and collaborate with remote workers through audio, web, or video conferencing
- Improve your availability by redirecting incoming conversation requests to another mode of communication, such as a mobile phone
- Presence: In the Contact List window, each contact has a presence button, green for available, yellow for away, or red for busy.
- Meetings: You can schedule audio, web, or video meetings with Lync or within Outlook or Outlook Web App. Web conferences support program or desktop sharing, file sharing, and polling.
- File sharing: You can send files or selections from files in instant messages or share them in meetings with their formatting intact.
- Accessibility: Lync includes more than 100 keyboard shortcuts for accepting, ignoring, or ending calls or other important functions. Enhanced screen reader support for JAWS and other software enables all notifications, incoming requests, and instant messages to be read aloud.
- History: Lync tracks and logs information about conversations in a special folder in Outlook called Conversation History. This information can include notes taken in OneNote.
This product includes Service Pack 1.
Lync Basic 2013
Lync Basic 2013 is a free desktop client for Lync Server 2013 and Lync Online. It provides a subset of the Lync functionality found in the Lync 2013 client. It is available as a 32-bit or 64-bit client.
The administrative fee for this product is not refundable, and the product cannot be exchanged.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Center and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product. After you download the software, learn how to install it or burn it to a disc for later use.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the first email you receive from TechSoup after requesting this product.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- TechSoup will send an email with information about obtaining your license key and managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.