FileMaker Server is a dedicated database server for managing and sharing database solutions created using FileMaker Pro. On a network it opens FileMaker Pro files and makes them available to other machines. On the Internet or on an organization's intranet, it publishes FileMaker data in web pages. It works on both Windows and Mac servers.
This offer provides one FileMaker Server license. The license includes one year of maintenance, updates, and upgrades.
Benefits for Organizations
You can use FileMaker Server to:
- Simplify administration by managing a large number of FileMaker Pro databases remotely
- Save time by automating administrative tasks
- Allow remote editing through web browsers or the FileMaker Go app (see subscription details below)
- Create custom, data-driven websites with PHP or XML (requires development experience)
Learn how other organizations are using FileMaker.
- Admin Console: An application interface that allows administrators to:
- Configure and administer FileMaker Server
- Work with and monitor hosted database solutions and clients
- Track statistical information
- Create scheduled tasks, such as running FileMaker scripts in hosted databases
- Manage database solutions remotely from any computer on the network
- FileMaker WebDirect: Allows developers to perform many of the functions of FileMaker Pro via a web browser on a desktop or laptop (see subscription details below)
- FileMaker Go: Allows developers to perform many of the functions of FileMaker Pro via iPad and iPhone devices
- Custom Web Publishing: Developers with PHP or XML experience can:
- Integrate a database with another website
- Determine how users interact with data
- Control how data appears in web browsers
- Security: The security capabilities in FileMaker Server allow administrators to:
- Manage user access through external Active Directory/Open Directory authentication
- Secure data transfer through SSL encryption
Compatibility of File Format with Earlier Versions
FileMaker Server 13 is not compatible with files created in versions earlier than 12. You can convert files from previous versions to the version 13 format with FileMaker Pro 13.
FileMaker Server can securely connect unlimited FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Go users. Every user who accesses database files over a network from a desktop computer needs a copy of FileMaker Pro.
Web and Mobile Access
Access to database files through FileMaker WebDirect or FileMaker Go requires paid connections. FileMaker Server comes with one paid connection. If you need concurrent connections, you can purchase them directly from FileMaker in groups of 5, up to a maximum of 50. You do not need a copy of FileMaker Pro for this type of access. However, you do need FileMaker Pro to create the database files.
Simply viewing database solutions published to a website does not require a paid connection or a FileMaker Pro license.
Previewing FileMaker Server
You can download a free 30-day trial version of FileMaker Server 13 from the FileMaker website. However, the license key received through this offer will not unlock the trial version for permanent use. You'll need to uninstall the trial version and then install the full version.
The FileMaker support page offers a knowledge base, forums, product documentation, and a phone number for help with issues like installation and registration at no charge. You can purchase support packages for technical issues and troubleshooting from this page.
The administrative fee for this product is not refundable, and the product cannot be exchanged.
Obtaining This Product
Expect two emails. When TechSoup approves your donation request, we will send a message to your organization email address with preliminary information about obtaining this product. Shortly after, the donor partner will send an email with information needed to complete the installation or activation.