FileMaker Server is a dedicated database server for managing FileMaker Pro databases. On a network it opens FileMaker Pro files and makes them available to other machines. On the Internet or on an organization's intranet, it publishes FileMaker data in web pages. It works on both Windows and Mac servers.
FileMaker Server can securely connect up to 250 FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Go users. Every user who accesses database files from a desktop computer needs a copy of FileMaker Pro.
Components of FileMaker Server can be deployed on multiple machines to improve overall performance.
Benefits for Organizations
You can use FileMaker Server to:
- Simplify administration by managing a large number of FileMaker Pro databases remotely
- Save time by automating administrative tasks
- Create custom, data-driven websites with PHP or XML (requires development experience)
- Admin Console: An application interface that allows administrators to:
- Configure and administer FileMaker Server
- Work with and monitor hosted databases and clients
- Track statistical information
- Create scheduled tasks, such as running FileMaker scripts in hosted databases
- Manage databases remotely from any computer on the network
- Custom Web Publishing: Developers with PHP or XML experience can:
- Integrate a database with another website
- Determine how users interact with data
- Control how data appears in web browsers
- Security: The security capabilities in FileMaker Server allow administrators to:
- Manage user access through external Active Directory/Open Directory authentication
- Secure data transfer through SSL encryption
File Format Change
FileMaker Server 12 is not compatible with files created in previous versions. You can convert files from previous versions to the version 12 format with FileMaker Pro 12.
Native 64-Bit Architecture
FileMaker Server 12 offers a 64-bit version, which uses memory more efficiently and reduces the possibility of file corruption.
The FileMaker support page offers a knowledge base, forums, product documentation, and a phone number for help with issues like installation and registration at no charge. You can purchase support packages for technical issues and troubleshooting from this page.
The administrative fee for this product is not refundable, and the product cannot be exchanged.
Obtaining This Product
Expect two emails. When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address with preliminary information about obtaining this product. Shortly after, the donor partner will send an email with information needed to complete the installation or activation.