The Core Device CAL Suite is a set of four device client access licenses (CALs) and two operating system environment (OSE) client management licenses (MLs). Together they provide workstation licensing for key Microsoft server technologies.
A device CAL gives one computer or other device access to a server regardless of the number of users. An OSE client ML licenses the management of one nonserver device. If a device has multiple OSEs, a separate ML is required for each OSE being managed. See below for details on the CALs and client MLs included with this donation.
Benefits for Organizations
- You can request this suite to obtain workstation licensing for six popular server products using only one of your Microsoft title group allotments.
- You'll also obtain the rights to download and install management server software for System Center Configuration Manager, System Center Virtual Machine Manager, and System Center Endpoint Protection.
One Core Device CAL Suite contains one of each of the following CALs:
- Windows Server Device CAL provides access to Windows Server.
- Exchange Server Device CAL – Standard provides access to Exchange Server.
- SharePoint Server Standard Edition Device CAL provides access to SharePoint Server.
- Skype for Business Server Device CAL – Standard supports the instant messaging, presence, and PC-to-PC audio and video communications capabilities of Lync Server.
Note: The Exchange Server Enterprise CAL and SharePoint Server Enterprise Edition CAL are not included in the Core CAL Suite.
System Center Client MLs
One Core Device CAL Suite contains one of each of the following OSE client MLs:
- System Center Configuration Manager OSE Client ML allows management by System Center Configuration Manager and Virtual Machine Manager.
- System Center Endpoint Protection OSE Client ML allows protection by System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection.
The right to run management server software is included with System Center client MLs. If you request this product, you can download and install the management server software listed above. The software includes a runtime version of SQL Server Technology (SQL Server Standard Edition) to support System Center. No additional licenses are needed for management servers or SQL Server technology.
For more information, see TechSoup’s Guide to System Center Products and Licensing.
CALs and MLs do not require media, license keys, or setup codes.
CALs, ECLs, and MLs offered through TechSoup are always for the currently offered version of the server software. However, these licenses can also be used with earlier versions of the server software.
Obtaining the Server Software
Installing the server software requires you to download the software from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the email you receive from TechSoup after you request this product.
Expect two emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address. This email will confirm the number of licenses you have requested and provide information about how to use the VLSC once Microsoft accepts your license agreement. Make sure the organization email that is registered with TechSoup is up-to-date. Visit My Member Profile and verify the address in your active organization profile.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the VLSC. This email will indicate that Microsoft has accepted your license agreement. After you receive this email, you'll be able to follow the steps in the first email you received from TechSoup to obtain your donation through the VLSC.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.