Backup Exec Small Business Edition is backup and recovery software that runs on Windows Server, Windows Server Essentials, or Windows Small Business Server. With the agents included, it can back up Windows, Mac, and Linux computers and virtual machines. The Small Business Edition is optimized for limited IT staff.
This donation provides one license for Backup Exec 2014 Small Business Edition. One Backup Exec Small Business Edition license allows Backup Exec to back up and restore up to three servers, virtual machines, or a combination of both.
Benefits for Organizations
Regular backups can protect your organization against a data-loss catastrophe. With Backup Exec Small Business Edition, you can back up data from multiple sources in a centralized interface.
- Ease of use: An intuitive interface and wizards simplify installation, setup, backup, recovery, media management, disaster preparation, and agent configuration.
- Protection for multiple Microsoft technologies: In a Windows environment, this edition includes protection for Exchange Server, Active Directory, SQL Server, SharePoint, and Hyper-V.
- Multiple-server backups: You can back up multiple servers at once, either as part of one backup definition or individually in separate definitions.
- Storage options: You can back up to nearly any storage device, including disk, tape, dedupe storage, or third-party cloud.
- Versatile recovery: You can recover virtual machines, applications, databases, files, folders, and granular objects directly from backup storage.
- Simplified Disaster Recovery technology: In the event of a disaster, Backup Exec can recover an entire server to the same or dissimilar hardware in minutes, not hours or days.
Agents and Options
Agents and options enhance and extend platform and feature support for Backup Exec environments. Backup Exec Small Business Edition does not use options; it uses the following four agents:
- Backup Exec Agent for Windows for Small Business Server Edition
- Backup Exec Agent for Windows
- Backup Exec Agent for Macintosh Servers
- Backup Exec Agent for Linux Server
You will need these agents to extend backup protection to two more remote servers. The version of Backup Exec Small Business Edition offered through TechSoup includes all four of them. For descriptions of these agents, see the Symantec website.
Comparison with Similar Products
This product is one of three Symantec enterprise-level backup applications. For a comparison of the applications offered through TechSoup, see the Guide to Symantec Recovery and Backup Products.
The version of this product available through TechSoup is the Not for Resale (NFR) version. You cannot upgrade NFR products to new releases. If you are seeking a new release, you will need to request a new donation through TechSoup. In addition, NFR products do not include telephone assistance with product issues or add-ons; however, free online technical support is available at Symantec's website through its knowledge bases and discussion forums.
The administrative fee for this product is not refundable, and the product cannot be exchanged.
Obtaining This Product
Expect two emails. When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address with preliminary information about obtaining this product. Shortly after, the donor partner will send an email with information needed to complete the installation or activation.